Blog Postings

The postings will be introductions to each of my life lists. The lists themselves will appear in the side margin. I shall do some postings about particular localities and there will also be postings to provide updates every time I add a new species.
Please note that I am not qualified in any aspect of natural history - there will therefore be occasional (or, apparently, in the case of the hoverflies, a lot of) errors.

Saturday 20 September 2008

Moth list



The first list of species I ever compiled was butterflies. The second was British macro-moths and moths remain one of my major interests. It really infuriates me when I find, or attract to my moth light, a species that I am unable to identify. This happened earlier in the year at GB’s where I caught a few carpet moths of the same species to which I couldn’t put a name. I have some reasonable photos so hopefully I will manage to identify it before too long. In the meantime my life list of macro-moths stands at 262. I have photos of the majority of these.


I apologise to anyone who is seeking a logical order in my lists on the left of the page. In some cases they are in alphabetical order; in some they are in families; and a couple are in an order used only by me!



The Moth species are listed accordingly to family and then sub-family / tribe, etc.- from the most primitive to the most developed. I concluded there were too many to make a separate alphabetical list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - comments are nearly always appreciated (the exception being those that simply advertise which don't make it past my moderation so please, don't bother).