Blog Postings

The postings will be introductions to each of my life lists. The lists themselves will appear in the side margin. I shall do some postings about particular localities and there will also be postings to provide updates every time I add a new species.
Please note that I am not qualified in any aspect of natural history - there will therefore be occasional (or, apparently, in the case of the hoverflies, a lot of) errors.

Friday 19 September 2008

British Butterflies


There are 58 species of Butterfly which breed on the British mainland (Real’s Wood White occurs only in Ireland) of which one is a re-introduction from the continent after having become extinct - the Large Blue. There are also a number of occasional vagrant and exotic species, some of the latter simply being escapes from captivity. Of these 58 I have seen 39 species in the wild and two more in captivity.



I have photos of nearly all of them – the exceptions being the Small Blue (seen near Grange-in-Borrowdale in the 1960s) and the White Admiral (Forest of Dean 1990s).,
It is a long time since I added a species – the last being the Scotch Argus when on Skye in the 1990s. It is about time I saw a new one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - comments are nearly always appreciated (the exception being those that simply advertise which don't make it past my moderation so please, don't bother).